Which Stone is Better Granite or Quartz?
One of the most important decisions, when we face the reform or design of a kitchen, is the choice of a countertop. In this field, two materials stand out and are always in all the pools, quartz and granite. Of course, they are not the only options there are many more, but few with a better combination of quality, price, and design.
Granite countertops are made from natural stone, are available in a wide range of designs and stand out mainly for their enormous resistance.
Quartz countertops are the result of engineering, they have great resistance, and their strong point is designed. In the manufacture of this type of countertops, pigments and resins are used. Thanks to these, any design can be achieved, from completely plain colours to perfect imitations of other materials, including natural stones such as marble or granite itself.
Price is not usually a very important variable when choosing between granite or quartz countertops. The prices move in similar margins that can vary depending on the range or the exclusivity of the design.
Advantages of Quartz over Granite
- Granite countertops require regular maintenance. At least once a year. It is advisable to polish and seal them to prevent stains from appearing. In the case of quartz countertops, there are no pores to be sealed, hence no maintenance is necessary.
- Granite countertops are available in a considerable range of designs, but these vary in grain and colour. However, the possibilities are multiplied with quartz countertops.
Advantages of Granite over Quartz
- Shock and heat resistance. Quartz countertops are very resistant, it is a question that no test doubts. However, they do not reach the parameters of granite, especially as far as high temperatures are concerned. For example, boiling pots can damage quartz countertops.
- Compact quartz countertops are considered to last for decades in a kitchen. The kitchen will likely undergo a comprehensive reform before replacing the quartz countertop because it has deteriorated. However, a granite countertop is for a lifetime, and maybe more.
- The action of the sun affects the design of quartz countertops over the years. This does not happen with granite countertops.
What is better quartz or granite for my countertop?
These are two materials of the highest quality and with excellent features for use as countertops. In summary, we can say that among the advantages of granite is its somewhat higher resistance. As for the advantages of quartz, greater availability of designs.